The second day of our meeting was dedicated to understanding and making the difference between concepts such as: stereotypes, prejudgements and discrimination.
The working session started with a brainstorming activity done at a team level. The teams were formed by participants belonging to the same school and country. We tried to identify the most widespread cultural and national stereotypes associated with each country. At the end of the brainstorming session, a conceptual mindmap was made, which was given a digital form by the coordinator of the Portuguese team.
For a closer look to the conceptual mindmap, click here.
Conceptual Map on Stereotypes
The next stage consisted in identifying widespread stereotypes about the countries involved in the project. We chose ten prejudgements about each country.
Stereotypes on Romanian people, click here.
Stereotypes on Turkish people, click here.
Stereotypes on Lithuanian people, click here.
Stereotypes on Portuguese people, click here.
We decided to devise a questionnaire on the stereotypes associated with Romania, Turkey, Lithuania and Portugal. The questionnaire had nine stereotypic statements for each partner country. The Likert scale was used for validating the questionnaire. We decided to distribute this end product in each school, to segments consisting of 100 students, 20 teachers and 5 non-teaching staff members.
The project team also reached the conclusion that it was necessary to make a second questionnaire, in order to test the target group knowledge on the culture and history of the four countries involved in the project. This product would be distributed twice: at the beginning and at the end of the time span alloted to “Building a New Europe against Stereotypes”.
The last part of our work day was dedicated to discussions about the site and the blogs necessary to make our work accessible to a larger public.
The Portuguese team presented their Weebly site written in Portuguese. The other teams also decided to make Weebly sites written in their mother tongue for target audience that could not understand English. The project site, reuniting the work of all four teams would be written in English, administrated by the Romanian team and done using the WordPress platform.
To see the site created by the Turkish team, click here.
To see the site created by the Lithuanian team, click here.
To see the site created by the Portuguese team, click here.
To see the site created by the Romanian team, click here.